IT'S NATIONAL WATERMELON DAY,
Time for some Watermelon Martinis from The Martini Diva!
A Few Facts About Watermelons:
- The scientific name for watermelon is Citrullus lanatus
- Watermelons were cultivated at least as early as 2000 B.C.
- Watermelon seeds were found in the tomb of Pharaoh Tutankhamen
- Watermelon is a fruit but it is related to other produce that grows on vines like pumpkins and squash
- Early explorers used watermelons as canteens
- There are over 1,200 varieties of watermelon grown worldwide
- In China and Japan a watermelon is considered an excellent hostess gift
- The word "watermelon" first appeared in the English dictionary in 1615
Health Benefits of Watermelon:
- Rich in electrolytes and water content, watermelons are nature's thirst quencher
- Watermelons not only quench your thirst, they can also quench inflammation that contributes to conditions like asthma, atherosclerosis, diabetes, colon cancer, and arthritis
- Watermelons are an excellent source of Vitamin-A, anti-oxidant flavonoids like lycopene, beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin and cryptoxanthin
- Watermelons are rich in potassium, vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine), thiamin (vitamin B-1), vitamin-C and manganese
MY WATERMELON MARTINIS:
Enjoy National Watermelon Day and don't hit anyone in the eye as you spit out the seeds!
Follow me on Twitter as PopArtDiva
Follow me on Twitter as TheMartiniDiva
Friend me on Facebook
PLEASE DRINK RESPONSIBLY